Sunday, March 30, 2008

50-year-old Chateau Latour by the ounce

I can safely say I've never seen this on a wine menu before I went to see Jose Gonzalez tonight at The Triple Door (adjacent to Wild Ginger) in Seattle:


Kudos to Seth for instructive finger pointing

Please draw your attention to the line above Seth's finger: it reads "Chateau Latour, Pauillac First Growth, Bordeaux, 1955".

Thanks to a super high-tech system of wine storage they just installed this week, Wild Ginger and The Triple Door can now serve one-ounce pours of 1955 Chateau Latour for a mere 37 dollars. The whole six-ounce pour will set you back $220, a half-glass sells for $110 and due to my sheer amazement at this new development, I failed to look up what they charge by the bottle. My guess is in the $800-900 range. *edit: I was right--the menu on their website shows $850 (thanks, Internets!).

Our friendly and helpful server informed us that this new system they have now allows them to store opened wine bottles at unopened-bottle quality for up to six months (!!) in some cases. This also means they can serve Dom Perignon by the glass. This is bound to make some celebratory folks on a budget happy, and in these penny pinching times, I imagine the goal is to increase wine sales aimed at those in the mood for a nice wine without breaking the bank.

I must say, they've really hit upon something with The Triple Door. There's something very special about listening to live music while sitting at a table with top-notch service and an incredible dinner menu and award-winning wine list from which to choose. The sake-infused pear tart in puff pastry we had with our bottle of Hielder Gruner Veltliner just hit the spot, and made my desire to have Jose Gonzalez's babies ever so slightly more emphatic. But I digress.

So a little help here... take a look at the photo again. See that little "e" in the black box next to the year of the wine? That stands for the wine storage technology they're using that I can't remember at the moment, and it's so new that the wine list which now includes a handy index about their new wine storage technology hasn't been updated yet at their website. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

No comments: