Tuesday, June 06, 2006

At Home Again

I have to say...

One awesome thing about being home is having a proper kitchen in which to play. Instead of a foot and a half of counter space on which to push veg and crap around, I have arm room, leg room and a whole kitchen island with a sink when space on the kitchen mainland gets tight.

It's also nice to have normal-sized appliances. The appliances in my old apartment in LA looked like regular appliances, except literally shrunken down to about 3/4ths the size of regular appliances. It was awkward to say the least.

And most importantly, I have toys, mainly this one:



I find every excuse to use it: Slicing 1/2 cm of skin off a salmon fillet, julienne-ing lime peel, whatever I can do to get my hands on this thing.

Today was legitimate. I made salsa: tomatoes, onions, fat garlic, handfuls of cilantro, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and a nice dash of rice vinegar. I mixed it all in the one piece of pottery I threw in college ceramics 1 that didn't turn out like a third-grader's ashtray.



It's a tricky time of year for tomatoes, but the ones my mom found at the co-op are so pretty, you want to bite into them like apples:



I'm also excited because my mom gave me a tour of the backyard my first day I was back, and we have "guest" tomato plants growing in the garden. She didn't plant them, but they popped up nonetheless and we're happy to have them around.

I'm sitting at the kitchen table right now, munching away at the salsa. There are windows to the front yard and the back yard, which is nice now that it's gorgeous and green and the weather has cooled down a bit. I wish I you could see how green everything is here. I forgot about seasons.

No comments: